Thursday, July 21, 2011

GEPIK Budget Cuts... will this be a new trend in Corea? Is this an excuse or true? Thoughts...

I use to work for this school district. Please see this article for more information about the budget cuts within GEPIK. (Gyeonggi-do English Program In Korea) I think its sad that it has come to this. I also think that the students will suffer now, because they will go without a foreign language teacher for who knows how long! Also, I think that based on my experience with my co-teachers in Korea most Koreans do not have a strong fluency in English to teach to any grade level. Some teacher are doing well, but still need more practice. What are your thoughts? See the below article. GEPIK Budget CUTS!!!

2 comments:

  1. I agree - this is actually going to be a detriment to english language proficiency in South Korea. Not only will it reduce the level of fluent english ability and levels, it'll also place an extra strain on the Korean teacher. After working in a public school for some time now, I see the extra duties a Korean teacher has to take on.....now take away a foreign teacher......the Korean english teacher will not only have to juggle their extra duties - but also, is their english language level of a high quality say in comparison to one whose first language is english? I think not......I see this as a lose lose situation for Korean students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Great comment. Totally agree. I can't help, but feel sorry for them. Good point about the KT's having to take on the extra responsibilities. It's unfortunate for all of us. KT's, foreign teacher, students, parents, and faculty. :(

    ReplyDelete

Followers