Friday, October 30, 2009

It was good eatin' at the Teacher's Volleybal Tournament

Wednesday, I was all ready to go to work and get home as usual. Of course, the day didn't even start out that way. Once I got to work my co-teacher informed me that we would have an adjusted schedule today, because the teachers were playing in a volleyball tournament today. "Omg! I sure do not want to play!"  If I don't go they will think I don't want to hangout with them and besides it’s during school hours, so I don't think I have a choice. So, why didn't he tell me to bring clothes to play in...? "Good thing I wore sneakers to school today."


When we arrived at the volleyball tournament my co-teacher told me I didn't have to play, so I was so glad, but then someone came and got me to come play. I tried to pretend as if I didn't kno what he was saying, but that didn't work!!  It's hard to explain to them that I do not want to play.  Well, we start warming up and I am thinking when they start the real game I will sitdown as a substute.  During our warm-up I went to the bathroom, and when I came out, they had already picked me to be a "starting" team member. "WHAT!"  They actually thought I was good. To be honest I am not too bad at volleyball, because I am a good overhand and underhand server. If no one complains about me serving underhanded, then of course I go with that option because it takes no concentration.

Back to the volleyball outing I have to admit I had a good time playing volleyball and hanging out with the teachers. Would I do it again? Yep! Maybe, I can find a league here. We did a pretty good job we lost a couple and won a few matches out of the 2 teams we played. The men at our school are actually really good, the women...wonk, wonk! They are scared of the ball. The teachers really did a great job of encouraging one another, you can see how close they are and lift each others spirits.

I did notice a few differences about the rules in Korean volleyball sometimes they play with 9 players, and you can kick the ball too. That is so illegal in American volleyball. So, when I use to play volleyball with the Wichita International Christian Fellowship I understand why a few players got a few frowns when they kicked the ball, some countries do not play with kicking as an option (like the USA), and other countries do. I think my friend Griselle, from Ecuador, was one of the few people that was kicking the ball lol!!  She tried to tell us that was okay, and the Nigerian's were like "um...no, that's not allowed lol"

After the Teacher's volleyball tournament, of course they wanted to go eat...ugh! I sure didn't want to go, but do I have a choice??? NO!!! "Lord help me!" I was so glad when they said we were going to a seafood restaurant. When we got there I had to take off my shoes as I do when I go to school. I had to sit on the floor with my legs crossed. It was so traditional.  Did I want to take off my shoes?  No! I never do, but did I take off my shoes?  Yes, it is the experience that made it worth wild for me.  I did have a lot of fun again, and was so glad that the teacher from the branch school was there to help me get as much shrimp as possible.  My tummy went to bed full that night! :)  I even tried some shellfish...not too bad, but not my favorite. I even brought shells home as a souvenir. Ha! They all felt so proud that they could show me their country and hangout with me. (I would feel proud to hangout with me too though jk)


Okay, yall I could go on and on and on about my experience, but again sometimes the pictures have to speak for themselves.

(Sidebar: I felt pretty good playing out there lol, it got me to thinking why didn't I try to play volleyball more often instead of basketball, because in a sense I was better at volleyball. I use to play volleyball during middle school, and then I played for fun in high school and during college. The only thing I had to work on was more control over the ball during the intense parts of the game, but even with that being said I still make a few good hits over the net. I can even spike sometimes, even though I am a short girl lol)

1 comment:

  1. Praise God I enjoyed this also! I'm glad U enjoyed yourself! Always look for the good! Love U very much! Give God the glory!

    ReplyDelete

Followers